…before I started seriously shooting macro
1. Whatever pants you wear out in the field can never be worn in public again.
2. Dragonflies are generally much uglier than one would think.
3. Huge palm fronds make for ugly bokeh.
4. The background of the shot is almost more important that the subject itself.
5. For every one shot that’s in focus, there will be at least ten that are out-of-focus.
6. Auto-focus is useless.
7. If you can handhold a 100mm lens at 1/50th of a second under ideal conditions, that does not mean you can handhold it at 1/50th of a second when that once-in-a-lifetime shot appears.
8. f/8 is more useful than f/2.8
9. Regardless of how hot it is, you will curse the slightest breeze.
10. No matter how many times you’ve shot the same leaf, there is always a new way to shoot it.